History of Blue Ridge Mountain Electric Membership CorporationPrior to 1936 most of rural America was without electricity. However, the 1936 Rural Electrification Act (part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal) ignited action to provide access into many rural areas. Rural Electric Cooperatives were formed to provide service across the United States, including the Blue Ridge Mountain Electric Membership Corporation (EMC).
Founded in 1937 by a group of businessmen, BRMEMC was established and continues to operate as a non-profit, member-owned, Rural Electric Cooperative. The founders elected a Board of Directors and made it their goal to bring electricity to this mountain area. In June, 1938 the EMC was incorporated and an agreement was executed naming The Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) as the supplier of electricity. Agreements were made with the Rural Electrification Administration to borrow money for construction and the work began.
Three employees were hired and a lot of volunteers were recruited. People joined in to help because this "new" product was wanted and welcomed. Looking back from the 21st Century, it's almost impossible for people who have grown up with electricity to imagine the deep emotion felt by rural families when the lights came on.
From that humble beginning the EMC now serves over 40,000 customers and will continue to grow with the community. Many new products and services are now being offered to our member-owners.
In 2008, BRMEMC announced the addition of Fiber. This new technology allows BRMEMC customers to receive all the benefits of having advanced video, broadband, and voice services from a single provider and having their services work together for a new level of convenience. With this new service, our customers can now have their electric, video, internet, and telephone services all on one convenient bill.
© 2010 BRMEMC.net Internet Services - 1360 Main Street - Young Harris, GA 30582 Acceptable Usage Policy | Sitemap Powered by NGN